A recent post at an iOS development news site called 148Apps.biz gave what it called “Three Simple Steps” on how to build a better mobile app. The site, which is by and for DIY iOS app developers, goes on to describe how to build an app. The problem is that the user must know how to write code and design wireframes.
We recommend hiring a firm such as us here at SmarterApps to do all of this work for you, but the post is a very nice look at what it takes to develop and build an app.
Step one is to “define the features or user story.” We will use a simple small business retail app as an example:
- User should start at welcome screen with hours of business and product information.
- User should be able to search the site for merchandise.
- User should be able to scan barcode in store for product information and availability.
- User should be able to purchase product online for delivery or pickup.
- User should be able to pay for product within app while in store and proceed through checkout line.
- User should be offered an opportunity to be on a contact list for future bargains.
After doing this, step two would be to design a flowchart. This is the first place where a lot of people who are great businessmen can be stopped in their tracks due to a lack of experience.
Step three is to design the wireframes. A wireframe is a blueprint, outline, or visual representation of the app. This is used to determine how much programming or development is needed, test the navigation, make sure that everything you want is included, and to test the design.
These three “easy” steps might be easy to a professional, but they certainly aren’t easy for most businessmen or women who want to concentrate on providing great customer service and customer satisfaction.
Our advice: contact us and let us do the work. If you want to do step one, it would be a great start, and a great tool to have to help us give you the professional app you want, but your app is going to be the face of your business. In other words, let us do what we do best, and help you do what you do best.